Television Review: “On My Block”

Television Review: On My Block

Caitlyn Kue, Journalist

I finally finished the third season of Netflix’s On My Block and let me tell you, it just got more interesting. The ending was such an unexpected twist that will create an amazing storyline for next season. I would highly recommend this show if you haven’t watched it yet! Some background information about this show; “On My Block follows a quartet of bright, street-savvy friends who are navigating their way through high school, including all of the triumph, pain and newness they experience along the way. Lifelong friendships are tested as Monse, Ruby, Jamal and Cesar confront the challenges of adolescence and life in their predominantly Hispanic and black neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles in this coming-of-age comedy series”. (IMDB)

I think the show’s concept is interesting and I haven’t really seen any shows that are like this. The show isn’t realistic in terms of  “high school life” other than the fact that the show displays characters in high school. However, other than that it’s a show that grabs your attention and always keeps you wondering what will happen in the next episode. I think my favorite characters are Ruby and Jamal. Their dynamic is hilarious and reminds me of a friendship either I have/had or seen between friends, but the overall chemistry within the whole friend group is strong. It feels like the actors are actually childhood friends who grew up with one another.

Personally, I think all three seasons are great, but I think season one and two have storylines that make more sense and are more realistic. However, season three has some of my favorite moments/scenes in terms of acting.