Television Review: “All America”

Caitlyn Kue, Journalist

Recently, I finished the Netflix series All American, which I highly recommend. If you haven’t had the chance to watch the show, here is a brief summary. “Inspired by the true life story of NFL Super Bowl Champion, Spencer Paysinger, All American is an inspiring, ensemble family drama about a young, high school football phenom, Spencer James and the two families whose homes he shares after transferring from Crenshaw to Beverly High – his mother and brother in South Central LA and the Bakers of Beverly Hills. But as these two families and their vastly different worlds are drawn together, Spencer, the Bakers, and the James family will discover that the differences that divide us on the surface hide a deeper connection – the complicated, imperfect humanity that unites us all.” (IMDB)

Personally, I’m the type of person who can start a show, but never ends up finishing it either because I get bored of it or because I don’t have enough time to watch it. The only show I’ve finished, in a long time, was HBO’s Euphoria because it was so interesting and kept my attention. Like Euphoria, All American drew me in from the get-go. Just by how the show opened, the interesting storyline, the acting, the characters, all of it just kept me interested to the point of completion. This show also tackles subjects like mental health, addiction, racial profiling and teen pregnancy, which all still occurs today, which helps the authenticity of the show in addition to being based on true events. I would highly recommend this show if you’re interested in themes I’ve listed, and I believe this show is a show you could watch with a sibling, share with a friend and maybe even a parent.